News reports indicate that an American man went missing from a cruise ship in Australia last week.
The 61-year-old passenger went missing on Wednesday May 3rd from the Golden Princess cruise ship as it sailed in Noumea.
On Friday, a spokesperson for Princess confirmed that the passenger had gone missing, and said that a search conducted by local police and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority had turned up nothing.
"Having ruled out other possibilities, this is being treated as a man overboard incident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the guest's family in America with whom we have communicated directly since he was reported missing," Yahoo Australia quotes the spokesperson as saying.
The male passenger was reportedly cruising alone. Authorities said that they would review the ship’s surveillance footage in order to see if it contains any clues as to the man’s fate.