Taking a cruise vacation is typically a wonderful, relaxing experience filled with fun, festivities and food. Unfortunately, even if you take the proper precautions, horrible instances still can and do happen on cruise ships. With thousands of people on board, a cruise ship turns into something equivalent to a small city and, just like a city; people may commit heinous crimes. Sexual assault is no exception.
The lawyers at Hickey Law Firm understand that being sexually assaulted is a terrifying experience. Cruise lines and cruise ship owners don't want these types of instances in the public eye, so it's important to have a lawyer on your side that understands the complexities of maritime law.
If you're in the Miami area and would like to learn more about how Hickey Law Firm can help you with our case, give our office a call at (855) 757-4200 to schedule your initial consultation today.
Steps to Take After a Sexual Assault
With an abundance of alcohol and a multitude of different types of people, there is a whole gamut of things to be concerned about while aboard a cruise ship. However, one of the most common crimes committed on cruise ships is sexual assault or rape.
If you've been the victim of sexual assault while on a cruise ship, it's important to remain calm and follow specific steps in order to strengthen your case against your attacker, including:
- Report the crime immediately.
- Go to the ship’s medical center and have a physical and forensic examination. While it may seem odd, go to the medical center prior to showering or removing the physical evidence of the crime.
- Have photos taken of all physical evidence of your attack (bruises, etc.).
- Gather information about who attacked you (which may be a member of the crew).
- Gather information including contact details from anyone that witnessed the crime.
- Demand that the cruise line let you call and report the crime to the FBI. Contact them yourself and do not allow the cruise ship line to contact them for you.
- When you get off the cruise ship, go to a rape treatment center.
- Receive all appropriate medical care for your injuries.
- Receive psychological counseling to help you process this horrible ordeal.
- Call our Miami cruise ship assault attorneys for help with your case.
Another important step to take, before you board any cruise ship, is to download your S.O.S. card in case of such an attack.
Download Your Free Cruise Ship S.O.S. Card
An S.O.S. card, conveniently provided by our law firm, provides you with important information you may need if you've been sexually assaulted while on a cruise, including the steps to take mentioned above. Our S.O.S. card also includes emergency contact information for cruise ship victims, such as:
Be sure to download your free cruise ship S.O.S. card that contains valuable information about how to protect your rights and what steps to take if you’re injured or assaulted aboard a cruise ship.
How the Cruise Ship Attorneys at Hickey Law Firm can Help
Sexual assaults and rape occur on cruise ships and the laws that apply to cruise ship attacks are very different from those that apply on land. To file a lawsuit for an assault aboard a cruise ship, there are certain rules and regulations you have to follow. Certain lawsuits have to be filed from specific states, depending on where the cruise ship made port. Our experienced cruise ship lawyers know all of the details of these rules and can help you during such a horrific time.
That's why it's so important to work with an attorney that knows the intricacies of maritime law, and who can help navigate you through the entire legal process of your specific case. With decades of combined experience, our attorneys can help fight for the justice and compensation you deserve.
If you're in the Miami area and would like to discuss your case with our attorneys, give our office a call at (855) 757-4200 to schedule your initial consultation.